Delta Museum and Archive
Welcome On Now Support Us! Shop The Chronicle

Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass) fonds - Fonds Description

Title Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass) fonds
Description Level Fonds
Fonds No. CR-108
Creator Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass)
Material Type textual record
Date Range [ca. 1880] - 1942
Physical Description 179.3 cm textual records
Physical Condition Many of the records are in poor condition (torn, dirty & moldy)
Conservation Conservation work was done by archives' staff, in the summer of 2012 to clean records contained in Acc# 2012-029.
History/Biographical Brunswick Cannery was built on Canoe Pass, Lot 187, Delta, in 1897, the second cannery built by Brunswick Cannery Co. (George Dawson, Alfred J. Buttimer and George I. Wilson), hence its original name, Brunswick No. 2. The cannery was acquired by the British Columbia Packers' Association in 1902/1903. The cannery continued to operate until 1930, except for two years, 1919 and 1920. After 1930 the cannery was used as a fish camp for the Imperial plant at Steveston, and then as net and boat storage. In 1961 the site was acquired as part of the Roberts Bank expropriation. In 1983 the now derelict and reduced buildings were demolished. The Anglo American Co. Ltd. (Francis G. Bell & Edward Ezra Penzer) built its cannery on Canoe Pass, Lot 61, Delta, in 1896. The British Colimbia Packers' Association bought the plant in 1902 and operated it until 1914. Mr. Bell became manager of Brunswick Cannery for the Association. The British Columbia Packers' Association was chartered in the State of New Jersey in 1902. The goal of its initial organizers, Henry Doyle and Aemilius Jarvis, were to finance a merger of several cannery operations in British Columbia. By the spring of 1903, 42 canneries were transfered to the ownership of the Association, including the three canneries operated by Brunswick Cannery Co., and the cannery owned by Anglo American Co. Ltd. The Association reincorporated in the province of British Columbia in 1910 under the name British Columbia Packers Association. In 1914, in order to apply for a Dominion charter, a new company was formed, the British Columbia Fishing & Packing Company Limited, which became the operating company in 1921, buying the B.C. Packers Association. An amalgamation with Gosse Packing Company Ltd. in 1926 resulted in the company's last name change to British Columbia Packers Limited.
Acquisition Source 1983-089 donated by Gordon Hackett; 1983-232 donated by Charles Pupora; 1983-234 donated by Gerald Cooke; 1988-001 and 008 donated by John Lieffering; 1988-014, 1989-003, 1989-047 donated by Maureen and Roy Cuthbert; 2007-008 donated by Brian Birch; 2012-029 donated by Angela Husvik.
Custodial History The fonds is made up of records recovered from the site of Brunswick Cannery at the time of the demolition of the buildings in 1983. Other records were collected in undocumented ways before being brought to the archives. See archivist for more information regarding accession records.
Scope & Content The fonds consists of records generated by the operation of the Brunswick Cannery on Canoe Pass from 1897 to 1926, under the ownership of the Brunswick Cannery Company, and after 1902, under the ownership of the British Columbia Packers Association and British Columbia Fishing and Packing Company Ltd. The fonds also includes records belonging to the Anglo American Canning Company Ltd. probably because the company's president, Francis Griffin Bell, became the manager of Brunswick Cannery for the Association in 1902. The fonds includes licenses, contracts, financial and fishermen's records generated by daily operations, plant inventories, accounting information, reference material and correspondence. The records are not complete. The records reflect its operation as a branch of the British Columbia Packers Association and therefore give insight into the operation of the Association. Two record ledgers for 1941 and 1942 are also included when the cannery site was used as a boat and net storage facility prior to and during WWII. The fonds has been arranged into 10 series: annual reports, correspondence, financial records, fishermen's records, Francis G. Bell family records, legal records, miscellaneous material, personnel records,plant inventories, boat and net storage records and reference material.
Arrangement The records have been arranged by an archivist and do not reflect any original order. Records from each accession have been kept together. Records within series are largely arranged in chronological order.
Notes Title based on contents of fonds
Finding Aids Series descriptions and file inventories are available
Related Material Records relating to the Brunswick Cannery Company and B.C. Packers Ltd. can be found at the University of British Columbia Library Special Collections and at the Richmond Archives.
Other records relating to Brunswick Cannery can be found in Robin Hooper's report "An Archaeological Assessment of the Brunswick No.2 Cannery site, Delta, B.C. 1991" (Archives' reference library 338.372 HOO)
Accession No. 1983-089; 1983-232; 1983-234; 1988-001; 1988-008; 1988-014; 1989-003; 1989-047; 2012-029; 2007-008

[close window]