Finding Aid

BRUNSWICK CANNERY (CANOE PASS) FONDS
Fonds CR-108
[textual record]
Notes Title based on contents of file
Accession No. 1983-089
Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass) fonds [textual record]. -- [ca. 1880] - 1942.
Creator Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass)
Physical Description 179.3 cm textual records
Conservation Conservation work was done by archives' staff, in the summer of 2012 to clean records contained in Acc# 2012-029.
History Biographical Brunswick Cannery was built on Canoe Pass, Lot 187, Delta, in 1897, the second cannery built by Brunswick Cannery Co. (George Dawson, Alfred J. Buttimer and George I. Wilson), hence its original name, Brunswick No. 2. The cannery was acquired by the British Columbia Packers' Association in 1902/1903. The cannery continued to operate until 1930, except for two years, 1919 and 1920. After 1930 the cannery was used as a fish camp for the Imperial plant at Steveston, and then as net and boat storage. In 1961 the site was acquired as part of the Roberts Bank expropriation. In 1983 the now derelict and reduced buildings were demolished. The Anglo American Co. Ltd. (Francis G. Bell & Edward Ezra Penzer) built its cannery on Canoe Pass, Lot 61, Delta, in 1896. The British Colimbia Packers' Association bought the plant in 1902 and operated it until 1914. Mr. Bell became manager of Brunswick Cannery for the Association. The British Columbia Packers' Association was chartered in the State of New Jersey in 1902. The goal of its initial organizers, Henry Doyle and Aemilius Jarvis, were to finance a merger of several cannery operations in British Columbia. By the spring of 1903, 42 canneries were transfered to the ownership of the Association, including the three canneries operated by Brunswick Cannery Co., and the cannery owned by Anglo American Co. Ltd. The Association reincorporated in the province of British Columbia in 1910 under the name British Columbia Packers Association. In 1914, in order to apply for a Dominion charter, a new company was formed, the British Columbia Fishing & Packing Company Limited, which became the operating company in 1921, buying the B.C. Packers Association. An amalgamation with Gosse Packing Company Ltd. in 1926 resulted in the company's last name change to British Columbia Packers Limited.
Acquisition Source 1983-089 donated by Gordon Hackett; 1983-232 donated by Charles Pupora; 1983-234 donated by Gerald Cooke; 1988-001 and 008 donated by John Lieffering; 1988-014, 1989-003, 1989-047 donated by Maureen and Roy Cuthbert; 2007-008 donated by Brian Birch; 2012-029 donated by Angela Husvik.
Custodial History The fonds is made up of records recovered from the site of Brunswick Cannery at the time of the demolition of the buildings in 1983. Other records were collected in undocumented ways before being brought to the archives. See archivist for more information regarding accession records.
Scope Content The fonds consists of records generated by the operation of the Brunswick Cannery on Canoe Pass from 1897 to 1926, under the ownership of the Brunswick Cannery Company, and after 1902, under the ownership of the British Columbia Packers Association and British Columbia Fishing and Packing Company Ltd. The fonds also includes records belonging to the Anglo American Canning Company Ltd. probably because the company's president, Francis Griffin Bell, became the manager of Brunswick Cannery for the Association in 1902. The fonds includes licenses, contracts, financial and fishermen's records generated by daily operations, plant inventories, accounting information, reference material and correspondence. The records are not complete. The records reflect its operation as a branch of the British Columbia Packers Association and therefore give insight into the operation of the Association. Two record ledgers for 1941 and 1942 are also included when the cannery site was used as a boat and net storage facility prior to and during WWII. The fonds has been arranged into 10 series: annual reports, correspondence, financial records, fishermen's records, Francis G. Bell family records, legal records, miscellaneous material, personnel records,plant inventories, boat and net storage records and reference material.
Arrangement The records have been arranged by an archivist and do not reflect any original order. Records from each accession have been kept together. Records within series are largely arranged in chronological order.
Notes Title based on contents of fonds
Finding Aid Series descriptions and file inventories are available
Related Material Records relating to the Brunswick Cannery Company and B.C. Packers Ltd. can be found at the University of British Columbia Library Special Collections and at the Richmond Archives. Other records relating to Brunswick Cannery can be found in Robin Hooper's report "An Archaeological Assessment of the Brunswick No.2 Cannery site, Delta, B.C. 1991" (Archives' reference library 338.372 HOO)
Accession No. 1983-089; 1983-232; 1983-234; 1988-001; 1988-008; 1988-014; 1989-003; 1989-047; 2012-029; 2007-008
Series ANNUAL REPORTS
Annual Reports [textual record]. -- 1905 - 1910.
Physical Description 1 cm textual records
Scope Content File contains six annual reports which include the General Manager's Report and the Directors' Report for all years except 1905 which has the Directors' Report only.
Notes Title based on the contents of the file
Accession No. 1983-089
Annual reports [textual record]. -- 1905 - 1910.
Physical Description 1 cm textual records
Scope Content Series consists of reports submitted to the shareholders at the annual meeting of The British Columbia Packers Association. Included in the annual report is the Directors' Report, the General Manager's Report, and the Auditor's Report. The Directors' Report presents the balance sheet for the previous year. The General Manager's Report describes the operations and results of the business of the Association including canneries in operation, market conditions, improvements to plants, condition of its fleet of steamers, comments on fishing strategies and enhancements, and a financial summary.
Notes Title based on contents of series
Finding Aid File inventory available
Accession No. 1983-089
Series BOAT AND NET STORAGE RECORDS
Boat and Net Storage Records [textual record]. -- 1941 - 1942.
Physical Description 3.5 cm textual records
Conservation Records were frozen and cleaned by archives' staff in July 2012.
Acquisition Source Brian Birch
Scope Content Series consists of records that were obtained from the Brunswick Cannery site after it was operated as a fishing camp for the Imperial plant at Steveston (1930-1939). After 1939 the buildings were reopened and used for net and boat storage and local Japanese fishermen and their families resided in some of the buildings along with other fishermen and a caretaker. Records contain information regarding residents and fish tallies between 1941-1942.
Notes Title based on contents of series
Finding Aid File inventory available
Accession No. 2007-008
Cannery Building Ledger [textual record]. -- 1942.
Physical Description 3.5 cm textual records
Acquisition Source Brian Birch
Scope Content File consists of a ledger that was created between April - December 1942 while the Brunswick Cannery No. 2 site was used as a net and boat storage facility. Many fishermen lived in the former cannery buildings including Japanese fishermen and their families. This ledger contains information regarding activities at the site along with fishermen's names and their comings and goings. The ledger's entries by J.E. Jacobson in April 1942, document the intial proceedings as the Japanese families at the cannery prepare to leave the cannery as directed under the World War II, War Measures Act for Japanese Canadian Internment. The fishermen are documented packing, cleaning and shutting up their homes and selling off equipment as local fishermen, such as Vernon Douglas and Bill Jacobs prepare to fill vacancies. Some of the Japanese fishermen listed include; K. Higo, Hisao Suzuki, Yukinori Takaski, Taka and Teizo [Mitsuishi].
Notes Title based on contents of file
Accession No. 2007-008
Cannery Fishing Ledger [textual record]. -- 1941.
Physical Description 2 cm textual records
Acquisition Source Brian Birch
Scope Content File consists of a ledger that was created between September 14 - October 1941 while the Brunswick Cannery No. 2 site was used as a net and boat storage facility. Many fishermen lived in the former cannery buildings including Japanese fishermen and their families prior to internment. This ledger contains fishing records for various fishermen who are listed by their initials, boat number and the amount and type of fish caught and sold to the fish processing plant which could be the Imperial plant in Steveston. Some of the fishermen's names entered include; S. Nagata, Yoshinori Higo, Saichiro Higo, Louie Wilson and Fred Wilson. Some of the ledger pages contain Japanese writing in the upper right hand corner.
Notes Title based on contents of file
Accession No. 2007-008
Series CORRESPONDENCE
Fraser River Canners' Association circulars [textual record]. -- 1900 - 1901.
Physical Description 4 pages
Notes Title based on contents of file
Accession No. 1983-089
Correspondence received by manager, Brunswick Cannery [textual record]. -- 1912 - 1926.
Physical Description 1 cm textual records
Scope Content File contains correspondence directed to the General Manager of Brunswick Cannery from U. S. Customs, head office and sister canneries of B.C. Packers Association, salesmen, and Dominion Fisheries among others.
Notes Title based on contents of file
Accession No. 1983-089
Fraser River Canners' Association circulars [textual record]. -- 1901.
Physical Description .5 cm
Scope Content File contains circulars signed by W.D. Burdis, Secretary of the Fraser Rivers Canners' Association, informing members of the Association about progress advocating for provincial licensing for fisheries, the date for the annual meeting, progress in negotiations with the White Fishermen's Union re price of fish prior to and throughout the fishermen's strike, and agreed behavior among cannery owners. The Fraser River Canners' Association was formed in 1900/01 to promote a uniform and stable operating environment for its members.
Notes Title based on contents of file
Accession No. 1983-234